Many people dread the idea of trying to settle into a new job, especially in today’s economy. However, with these five tips you can make your transition into a new company enjoyable and successful.
Settle Into a New Job:
1. Learn as much about the company as possible
In order to settle in to a new job successfully, you need to learn as much about the company as possible. This includes understanding the culture and values of the company. It can be a little daunting at first, but do not worry. There are ways that you can go about it that will make this task less intimidating. The simplest way is to read through the company website or through any other information that they provide on what the company is like to work for.
Another good idea is to look through some reviews of people who have worked with them on sites like Glassdoor, Indeed, or even Google reviews. They might mention some details about the company that you didn’t know before which could come in handy.
2. Ask questions when necessary
If you are unclear about something, ask for clarification or direction. For example, if the company has not provided written guidelines on how to do something, make sure you ask your line manager how to do it. If you’re not sure if something is allowed in the office, ask around and see what other people think. Sometimes you do not even need to ask, sometimes it is obvious that something needs to be clarified. If this happens and you don’t want to make a big deal out of it, sit down with your line manager and start figuring it out.
3. Be open about how well things are going
Be open about how well things are going so that managers know what is working and what isn’t. This is important for a few reasons, but one of the main ones is that it will give your boss a better idea of what to expect from you in the future. For instance, if you need to take some time off for an emergency, let them know. If you meet someone who seems like they would make a good friend at work, tell them about it. The more information you provide them with, the more they will be able to help you and tailor your experience at this new company to your specific needs.
4. How to make friends at work and settle in
Making friends at work can be tough, especially if you’re new to the company. Sometimes it is as simple as just reaching out and starting up a conversation with someone, here’s some tips:
– Strike up conversation with your colleagues at appropriate times.
– Don’t be afraid to go out of your comfort zone by doing things that you don’t usually do.
– Be kind to your colleagues, they will most likely be happy to share an interesting story or two with you over lunchtime.
– Be brave, occasionally invite someone from another department to participate in work related social events with you and your colleagues.
– Take a minute before going home from work and start saying goodbye to people around you, they might do the same back or even offer an invite for drinks after that.
5. Keep a balance between impressing and relaxing
One of the most difficult things for someone trying to settle into a new job is figuring out what the right balance is. It’s all too easy to lean too far towards trying to impress your bosses and not taking enough time to relax and recharge your energy levels. However, this can also be difficult because if you take too much break time or spend it unproductively, you may get the impression that they are not satisfied with how hard you are working. This may lead you to push yourself even harder which could lead to burn out if it becomes excessive. The best way to figure out how much time you should be spending on your impressing versus being social with your new team is to talk with your boss.
Many people struggle with settling into a new job. The first month can be especially difficult, as there is a lot of information to learn. Hopefully, these 5 top tips for settling into a new job in the first month will help you start your new role in the best possible way.
- The Bangkok IT Job Market: Demand Expected to Accelerate in 2022 - December 1, 2021
- 5 Things Tech Employers Can Do To Retain Their Top IT Talent - November 30, 2021
- 5 Top Tips to Settle Into a New Job - November 18, 2021